- 750L ~ 5th-7th grade
- Language: occasional Spanish words, mostly simple vocabulary (some difficult words include: disrespects, notifying, snickering, huddles, janitor)
- Short, quick read (193 pages, but it’s a small book with large text!)
- Topics: Family, heritage & culture, discrimination & racism, poverty, coming of age, immigration
- Main character is a bright Mexican immigrant struggling to make his way to college despite the challenges of his family’s undocumented status and poverty.
- Yes- would recommend (conditionally – see below)
- Good story, discusses big issues such as racism and poverty without being depressing or hopeless.
- Note: Some people had issues with this book because of the way it views meritocracy and the path to social mobility – for many people, the success that this narrative presents is not possible (or is even more difficult). However, it then presents a perfect opportunity to open up discussion about these issues through a critical lens!